Sunday, March 17, 2013

In a month I will be totatlly use to this and think it is EASY PEASY----Really!?

Things have changed at our home----at least in my little world.  And I keep getting told in a month I will be totally use to my new life, and things will be easy peasy.  I am hoping everyone is right!!!  

  I started a full time job and I love the atmosphere, my supervisor, the people (especially my brothers, and my sister in laws brother who I went to high school with)  and pretty much EVERYTHING about it! But, boy is it a transition switch for me, from working part time to full time.  I have had to let go and trust and relax, which is HARD for me.  I have to trust that someone else will give Kara a ride home.  I have to trust that my children will help more and make dinner their night of the week.  We have given our children more chores, and they were surprisingly really good about it and haven't complained.  
  I have always picked up my daughter from school and been there to greet her.  And I think this is one of the most important things ever as a mom, so it has been DIFFICULT to not be there. Luckily, I can call her when she get home and she can text me anytime of the day.  I only work till 4pm, but it is hard for me to give up control.   This is one of the reasons I switched companies, so I could be more available and be able to leave easily  if a problem arised.  And get time off without a problem, but it is a big adjustment.  And it has been hard to be inundated with so much new information  to learn at my job ASAP.  
   I am learning so much about my new job.  Apparently, it will take me up to a year to fully grasp what I am doing---a YEAR, I could hardly believe that before I started, but after working there for 7 days I can see how it could be entirely possible.

Other news in our family, we are getting a foreign exchange student.  We are excited.  She has grown up in Hamburg, Germany and her family is originally from Poland.  She will come and live with us from August 2013 until June of 2014.  Her name is Melanie, she is 15 and will be a sophomore in high school.  And it certainly, is much easier than childbirth.  Kara has been taking German for 3 years so hopefully we will be able to communicate.  We are all just excited to be able to welcome someone in our home and show her this part of the world that we LOVE. 
 
Spencer is singing in the Priesthood Choir for General Conference.  He has practice every Sunday night.   I really want to see it, Hmmm?  He even had to shave his beard to be in it. He looks so much younger without it.  Luckily, he will be this way for at least 3 more weeks!!!  I love a clean cut look, hands down.



We found Kara's prom dress.  It is beautiful.  We are renting it and will get it Friday night.  The place we are renting it from, is altering it so it is completely modest.  Seriously, you would think in Utah you could find TONS of modest dresses, but that has not been the case.  

I have been worrying myself silly about my Grandma and Aunt in Oregon.  My almost 77 year old Aunt who is a saint has been taking care of my Grandma who is 94 for years by herself with no complaint.  But 77 should be the age where OTHERS are taking care of you, IMHO.  Well my Aunt started experiencing problems with her heart and knee and she made the difficult decision about where to put my cute Grandma.  So over two weeks ago my Grandma was moved to an Assisted Living place. 
Photo: Lunch with my mom although Joe and I are at another table so happy she has friends here already 
She is doing well there right now and I am very grateful. She seems to like the food and having friends to visit with daily.   My Aunt Jean went in for knee replacement surgery last Tuesday,   I tried to call her  and never got through, I was so WORRIED. Finally, on Saturday I was able to talk to her after she was moved into a rehab facility.  I wish I could be there to help her.  I miss and love them both and I am relieved things are going better now!! 

 Photo: Best roundtable and policy group!  
Coby has been super busy with his last semester at BYU.  He has a LONG thesis paper he needs to write and he has been going to a lot of conferences.  He also is trying to learn Turkish in his spare time, before he moves to Turkey in May.   Last night he helped with BYU's annual hunger banquet, if I hadn't had such a crazy day I would have been able to go, but to no luck.   We loved it last year and were sad, we couldn't make it this year.
Colleen is doing well in the MTC.  It has been fun getting letters from her and also getting her weekly family newsy letter that I get emailed.  She has less than a month and off to Thailand she goes.

Photo: Sister Colleen McDermott and her companions pointing out Thailand on the MTC map. 


Colton is thinking about changing jobs and also moving into an apartment with a friend.  We recently had him meet with the Department of Vocation from our state.  He will take career tests and  they will help him find the best vocation for him and then help him with college, tutoring etc.  I am excited about the prospect and so is he.  It is hard to be a young adult and not be sure which direction to go in.  

Well, that is a little of our week in a nutshell.  I feel so much gratitude in my life for each member in my family, and pretty much everything else. 



1 comment:

Jenny said...

Wow! So many things going on. As someone who is "looking" for a job, I am curious to hear more about your work. I totally get how hard it would be to not be home when Kara gets out of school.

My 80 year old Grandma takes care of my 93 year old Grandpa. They temporarily moved in with my parents two years ago and everyone agreed that it was best if they just stayed there. It is hard work and I agree - at that age, they should be the person receiving care, not giving it.

An exchange student for a whole year! Wow!!! That sounds like an adventure. That is actually a cool idea for Kara to have a "sibling"-ish person at home, though. I have heard a lot of youngest children talk about how hard it is to be the last child at home after the others move out.

I'm glad you blog! It's fun to know what you are up to.