Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Can I make up my mind?!!!

Looking for a job is a lot of work.  Making the decision to get a full time job, requires a lot of pondering. All and all, getting a job is a real BIG job. First, I  worked on my resume and then learned all I could about  various companies. Then I started applying for those companies that I thought were the best match.  Filling out job applications and writing cover letters takes A LOT of time. I started networking, in case anyone knew of openings I wasn't aware of.  And I was blessed to have friends help me with connections they had.  Thank you!!

 I first got offered a job at Discover Card. My son works there and I would have been working in the same department as he was.  I had my interview and then a week and a half went by and I didn't hear back from Discover.  The day I heard back from Discover I was reading my scriptures and I felt a strong prompting that I should NOT work at Discover.  I have no idea why because it is an awesome company and  when I heard this I kind of chuckled  because I hadn't officially even been offered a job at Discover.  But within an hour of the prompting, I got a call making the job offer official. I didn't tell her no, as I still needed a back ground check and a drug test and I wanted to think more about it, even with my strong prompting, I know lack of  faith, I guess.

The very next morning I got a call from ebay. I had went to a job fair of ebay's a week before ( a friend of mine had told me about it, I love networking) and they were interested in interviewing me.  The first interview was a phone interview that lasted 1/2 hour.  Then I needed to give them 5 references.  I had to call each of my references and ask them to fill out an intensive survey about me.  I moved to the next level and was asked to come in for an interview.  He told me it would be around an hour and a half.  Well, it turned out to be three hours.  First I had to take a series of tests that lasted around an hour.  Then I had an extensive interview.  After that they had me go to the department I would be working in to make sure it was a good fit for me.  I was exhausted when I got home and I still didn't know if I had the job.  They apparently, don't offer the job until after you pass your background check. 

So I passed the background check and was offered the job.  I loved everything about ebay.  I just didn't love the fact that I had to work a weekend day every week.  And I wasn't sure if the monotony of taking phone calls each day would be the best fit for me.

So fast forward to this last Friday, when my brother Mark calls me and lets me know that they  have an opening at the company he and my brother work at.  It sounded like an ideal job for me, but I also was torn as I had already took the job at ebay.  After thinking about it over the weekend I told him I needed to stick with ebay.  Then I found out that I couldn't get off the week that my family reunion is on ( that I have been in charge of) and that I might not be able to work the shift I wanted.  I was really torn.  So on my second day of training I sent my brother an email and let him know I might be interested.

So fast forward today I went in for the job interview early this morning and the manager that would be over me offered me the job on the spot.  It felt right and after listing the pros and cons last night with my husband, we felt like it was the best fit for me.  Even my son Coby agreed with me as he had worked there as a high school student and loved it. So now I am working at IDS.  I am excited, but I must admit that I feel bad.  I take everything way too personal.  I felt horrible going in this morning to my trainer and letting him know I would no longer be working there.  He was very cordial and tried to persuade me to stay.  I also felt bad when I told Discover I would not be taking the job offer.  So anyways, I start work tomorrow at my new place and I am excited.  I am not completely sure of the exact job title, but it is something along the lines of Client Services/Representatives.  I am scared and excited, but honestly I am not sure if I made the right choice. I am pretty confident I did, but I am not completely sure.  I do feel like it is a better fit, but I am nervous!!! 

All and all I must say that since I started looking for a job I have felt like I am on a huge roller coaster.  I don't cry very easily, but I have cried more about leaving my old job, finding a new job, and deciding which job to take than I have in the last 5 years.  It has been emotional for me, and yet my husband keeps telling me that it isn't personal, but just business.

But throughout it all, I have been very grateful that I have had the ability to find several jobs so readily.  I am also grateful that my family has been so supportive.  It was really cool on Sunday night when all three of my sons and my husband participated in giving me a blessing.  I feel a lot of gratitude for my many blessing and I am excited for the new opportunity before me!

2 comments:

Jenny said...

This is the exact roller-coaster journey I am about to start. Except that I don't know what I am looking for. Full time? Part time? I'm an emotional wreck over the whole thing. I'm glad you are finding your way. Congrats on all the job offers!

Unknown said...

Thanks Jenny! Sorry you are about to embark on this kind of roller coaster, I must admit it is not too much fun, but it also can be exciting at the same time. Let me know if I can be of any help to you please. :)