Monday, August 13, 2012

Visiting my parents grave and Oregon

 It was sad to say good bye to everyone in Washington.  I for one, just hate saying good bye.   After saying good bye to Matt's parents we went to visit  my parents grave.  Sometimes I wonder why I do this as it always makes me cry and miss my parents all the more.  Whenever I go to Seattle I miss my parents more since Seattle is where I have all of my memories with them. So I am already on the verge of tears the whole trip, go figure.   I took a picture of the grave because when people ask me when my dad died I can't always remember the year and now I can remember. 

 Matt always start cleaning around their grave.  It is good because I am usually bawling.  I have never been one of those people who can smile when there are in front of graves for a picture..  I just don't feel like there is something to smile about---I know kind of dramatic, but it is how I feel. 

The cemetery they were buried at is so beautiful and they keep the gardens so clean and manicured.  I am so grateful for this.   After leaving the cemetery we drove straight to Portland. It is such a beautiful drive.  When we arrived in Portland we went straight to get Voo Doo doughnuts. I had heard so much about their doughnuts so, I had to give them a try.   They were good, but the reason they are so famous is because of the names of the doughnuts and the way they are decorated.   Apparently, people go to Voo Doo to get married.  And believe it or not, but there was a wedding while we were there.  


We arrived at my Aunt Jean's home.  I truly admire and adore my aunt.  For the last decade or more she has been taking care of my Grandma by herself.  She has sacrificed so much of her time and energy to take care of her.  My aunt is 76 and I really feel like she needs more help.  She has never asked for much help or complained, but I feel very neglectful in helping with my grandma.  My aunt cooked us a lovely meal and I felt so bad that she had spent so much time when she should have been relaxing.  I felt bad to add to her stress. 
 My friend Ann recently put this on her blog. Like my aunt she has been taking care of her Grandma.  After reading this I feel like this really describes my Aunt perfectly.
 I truly believe that one of the greatest errands for earthly Angels is the care and love of the elderly.  Babies are so easy to love, hold and adore.. but many people scoff at helping older people -- changing them... patiently feeding them, etc.   I know that the Lord sends some of his greatest blessings to those who care for the Elderly so lovingly and caringly."

After spending the day with my Grandma and Aunt we went to the outlet malls to take Kara shopping.  We got there pretty late, and they were about to close, but she got some wonderful deals.  Then we drove to my Aunt Traci's home.  She is my dad's youngest sister.   Traci is super good at taking pictures.  I always forget to get  my picture taken, but she seems to always remember to capture the moment.  Thanks Traci!!!

Traci made us some very yummy food!  They have a treager they cooked biscuits on they were to die for.  Traci also made some of the best eggs I have had, in a long time.  She spoiled us rotten.  She has some of the best sheets I have ever slept on---seriously.  They are doing a roadshow in Utah at Costco. I am totally going to buy them.  They are called Jennifer Adams sheets and I am in love!  My Aunt Jean told my Aunt Traci about them and I am in love!


 After leaving the Portland area, we headed to Boise.  We called up Matt's grandpa to find a time we could meet up with him.  So we met up at the movies.  We went to see Marigold Hotel with Grandpa P.  Aunt Julie and Uncle John the minute we arrived.  It was a very delightful movie.  Afterwards, we all went out to dinner.  I love visiting with John and Julie.  They are such vibrant people.  They aren't afraid to ask questions and to answer question in return.  Thank you John and Julie for letting us crash your activity. Thank you for looking out for Grandpa P and taking such good care of him.  They truly are the sandwiched people, not only are they helping with their father, but their children and Julie watches her grandson every day!!!  WOW--I hope I can have that kind of energy.   Grandpa P. is one amazing man.  He is strong and vibrant and going strong in his 90's.  We sure love him!!!


We stayed at my brother John's home that evening in Boise.  I love visiting with their family. It is so cool that my best friend  married my older brother.  I feel blessed we are in the same family.  Thank you for letting us stay at your home. 

As we were coming home Kara said she felt like she was a little homeless. She said she had been in more homes as a visitor and had slept on so many different beds that she was so glad to be coming home.  I am grateful for the amazing family we have and the great example they are to us.   I am grateful to Matt's parents for raising such a wonderful man.  They are just some of the salt of the earth people.  I am so grateful to have such wonderful family members who are willing to open up their home and to feed us and to act like they enjoy it!!!  I am especially grateful for a beautiful home to come home to, and that my boys took care of it while we were gone.

Kara and I are leaving for Education week for the rest of the week tomorrow. I am so excited to learn and be edified.  It truly is a wonderful life!!! 


No comments: