Tuesday, March 27, 2012

March.....

Kara loves to go to plays so we went to a few this month.  If she had her way we would go to at least one a week.  I love going to musicals/plays, but I don't think I love it quite as much as she does.    First we went to Gleek in SLC at the Off Broadway Theater. The drama teacher at her school was in the cast.  It was very well done.  We got half off tickets through groupon.  Gotta love groupon.


 On another night we went and saw another version of Cinderella by a youth group in Riverton.  It was pretty good. Kara had a couple of friends that were in the play and it was a hoot. It is amazing how many different ways they can do the splay Cinderella.
Kara's former piano and voice lesson teacher in Sandy was in charge of her stakes production of "rom Cumorah's Hill."  A few years before I went and saw this with Coby and loved it.    So I was anxious to take Kara to see it.  It is such a spiritual production to go and watch and so well done.  Joanne Andrus is so gifted in capturing the spirit of the Book of Mormon.  They had some powerful videos of youth/adults that were taken that really brought the spirit into the meeting. 
One Saturday this month I held a baby shower for Pam Carter (who I visit teach and work with) daughter in law KayDee who just had a beautiful baby girl.  It all turned out great and it was fun to visit with the sisters in our ward.  I was also so grateful for all of the help from my friends in the neighborhood who didn't know KayDee, but were willing to come and help me decorate, make food and just hang out at my home.  I love you all so much.

We went to the new museum Leonardo that is right across from the Salt Lake City Library.  I love it.  There was an amazing exhibit there called, This Light of Ours."  It exhibited  pictures that were depicting the the Civil Rights Movement  by activist photographers. It was produced by the Center for Documentary  Expression (CDEA).  The exhibit depicts the African-American freedom struggle in the South between 1963 and 1966.  I loved seeing the visceral history lesson about the oppression and courage of the minorities in the United States.  Martin Luther King is truly an inspiration to me.  At the school I work at I spent a month building my curriculum to focus on the sacrifices that Martin Luther King made for us.  I don't know if the children truly got it, but I certainly had several aha moments grasping what he did. As we have learned the teacher is always the one who learns the most and it is so true.  They also have some wonderful exhibits there  involving algae and plastic.  We have an annual pass so I am so grateful.

We also attended Kara's spring concert.  Spring Concerts are always my favorite. It is so cool to see the students perform harder material that is challenging.  They performed  some of the music that they did at the festival.  I am not sure if part of the video will work or not, but, if not it was really amazing. 


John and Annette came for two days to visit.  It was their families school break.  They were heading to Vernal to go visit her Annette's parents and to go to Jackson Hole.   I was teaching the lesson in YW's today.  It was cool to have Annette come and be a part of the lesson.  It felt like the old days when we would sit in young women's together when we were actually the 12-13 year old Beehives.   It was just the two of them as their children were at other relatives.  It is always so fun to be around them.  A couple people thought John was my son Coby.  I guess they do resemble each other a tad, but John is my OLDER brother.  Kind of silly.
On Saturday the 24th it was the General Young women broadcast.  Kara and I had tickets for the event in the Conference Center and we had a free parking pass.  It also happened to be the grand opening of the new mall, City Creek.  So we headed down to SLC a little early to check out the mall.   A lot of people had the same idea.  It was crowded, but so fun to check it out.  Beautiful, to put it mildly.    The YW meeting was amazing.  The spirit at the meeting was incredible and it was so neat to be there with Kara.  She is such an amazing daughter to have. 

Last Sunday Colton received his Duty to God award at the ward Court of Honor.  We are proud of Colton for the awesome young man he is.  He is beginning to start on his mission papers.  We will see what will happen.