Friday, March 16, 2012

Hunger Banquet

"If we are to reach real peace in this world, we shall have to begin with children."

--Ghandi
We went to the Hunger Banquet at BYU on March 3rd. Our son Coby was on the committee for it and helped plan and arrange it.  It was an eye opening experience. When we first got there they educated everyone about the needs of others around the world.  Coby said the opening prayer for the event in Arabic.  It was pretty cool to watch.  He also had on some Arabic clothes.   They divided everyone in groups like the world is divided.  70% of the people who are in extreme poverty ate rice and beans on the ground. 20% of the people were middle class and ate hot dogs and chips on metal chairs. and then 10% ate a very nice meal on fine linen.  It was amazing to see the people sitting on the ground. 


The entertainment was so awesome.  They had singing and dancing and Kara and Coby danced together. 








Believe or not Matt and I got the tickets for fine dining.  I felt weird eating that way when everyone else wasn't.  They watched us when the food went right in front of them.   There were some amazing speakers.  I took great notes, but they were on my old cell phone which I no longer have.  So I can't give details.  I guess the one thing that is so hard for me is to see people suffer so  much and to be powerless to truly help them.  It seems like no matter how often I hear the statistics about developing countries that they seem to always be the same.  I wish there weren't so many unrighteous dictators who allow so many people to starve.    I hate suffering.  One thing that I think is amazing about the LDS church is that they respond to tsunami's, famine and any natural disaster every 3 days.  I am grateful that we are helping others through out the world.  The LDS church provided 120 tons of relief supplies and 50,000 hours of service from more than 7,000 church volunteers and missionaries.  I am grateful for all my blessings and I am grateful that I can do my part no matter how small it is, we all can make a difference.