Saturday, January 25, 2014

Changes in our home

Right before Christmas Meli moved out of our home and into a new home not that far away.   I was sad about it and was very surprised she moved out. It was all so sudden, but now looking back I can see it was the right thing to do.  I really couldn't write about it for a while because I was so upset.  I didn't know what to say.

I was not able to pick up Meli after school because I was at work and it really bothered me that she had to walk from the trax station to our home. In her new host home she is able to get a ride home from school every day from her new host mom.  I really like her new host parents.  They are very kind and they have a daughter that is the same age as Meli.  We definitely miss her in our family, but I feel like it was better for Meli.  The host mom works 15 hours a week or less and so she able to be there more for Meli.  Kara was never home to even spend time with Meli.  She was so busy after school with improv practice and play practice and all of the other clubs she is in that she was rarely home. This wasn't how I envisioned this at all.   

I chose to be a host mom before I started working full time and I use to have so much more time.  I have an extremely stressful job and it has been getting even crazier with the new changes.  I keep thinking it will lighten up, but it hasn't yet. I signed up to be a host mom before we had some difficult things happen in our family.  I wanted to be a good host mom, but I felt so bad I wasn't doing a good job.  I felt some guilt and generally I don't feel that way.  I felt like I was getting sick and not spending time with my husband and children.  I felt like I was failing miserably.  So the coordinator for Aspect after talking to Meli decided with Meli that it would be good for her to move to a different home.

We have been in contact with Meli and she still comes to our YW's group each Wednesday night. She has a lot of people in our neighborhood that love her.   Now, I actually think living in two homes while being in America might be a good thing for a foreign exchange student.  She gets to see different ways Americans are able to do things and she is able to see our culture in a different way.

Our family does miss Meli and we are grateful for the time she was able to spend with us.  We learned a lot from her and we were able to be exposed to a different perspective.   We love you Meli and want you to be happy.  We are excited that your parents will be visiting you soon.  

No comments: