Sunday, December 23, 2012

Favorites of Christmas


(All in no particular order)
1.  Christmas Movies    I love watching a Christmas movie while wrapping presents, baking,  getting dressed in the morning.    I can't express in words how much I love them.  The more cheesy they are the better!

2.  I love getting Christmas cards in the mail.  The more news they hold, the more I like them.  I love the pictures.  I look forward each day for some fun cards, through mail or email, I'm not picky.   Below is a picture of how my friend Makinzee  displays them.  I am going to to do it that way next year.  Taping them up has just lost its appeal.



3.  I love Christmas bakingWe have some traditions we make each and every year.   Some of my children don't believe you can  have Christmas without the usual baking. 
We always make 7 layers bars (my mom's tradition)   Peanut Butter cups,  and Sugar cookies.   One of Matt's favorite traditions was making Sugar cookies and also receiving a package of fudge from his Grandma each year.  So I make fudge, of course, too.    

            


4.  Giving the 12 days of Christmas or receiving it!!!    This year some family has picked our family to do the 12 days of Christmas.  They have been wonderful!!!!  It has been so fun to be generously spoiled.   I love that because we have received this, that we see the goodness in EVERYONE.  You don't know who is doing this kind act, so you feel gratitude for everyone!!!  Thank you, thank you!!!  They are quite sneaky too.  Below  are some of the  fun gifts we have received.









5. Giving Neighbor Gifts  I love giving gifts.  This year I bought my neighbor gifts very early so I got a steal on them.  And it had 2 books in one!!  I love a bargain.   I gave these out as well as some other things too! 




6.  Christmas Music-----I love listening to Christmas CD's, Kara playing the piano and singing.  In fact I am doing it right now!!!!    Kara is singing tonight at a Benefit concert for the Road Home, a homeless shelter.  She gets to sing at the Masonic Temple in SLC.  The program is below, but it is hard to read.
Above is a song from Kara's recent Candlelight Concert. I loved this song, until Spencer told me what it really is implying, but I still like it.  (It is a really bad copy.  Matt and I switched users to get the best angle).

7.  I love being with family  I love having my family all together.   When I think of Christmas I think of my family.  I think of my mom and dad who have both passed on.  I miss them dearly, but I am grateful, as I focus on my Savior's birth, that he made it possible for me to be with them again. 

I am grateful that this year--all of my children are home and we get to spend Christmas together. I realize that this is a real luxury the older my children get.  I am grateful for the time we get to be together. 

 Above are my some of my siblings, Matthew, Mark, Katie, my step mom Sheryl and their families while visiting in Seattle this Christmas.
From left to right: Mikayla,  Brittany, Suzanne, Brighton, Matthew, Nathan, Sheryl, Katie,  Abe, Cougar, Mark,  Miriah, Jett, Layla, Cumorah and Caleb.  


8. I love Christmas lights  I appreciate Christmas lights. As a child I can never remember our family putting up Christmas lights, so I go overboard.  My husband is great about putting up lights. I really appreciate  him for doing this. 
   

9.  I LOVE the spirit of Christmas.   I love how everyone is a little bit more kinder, patient, and giving.  I love that Christmas helps us focus more on our Savior.

10.Reading the Story of our Savior's Birth  I am grateful to be reminded each year of the simple birth of our Savior.  I am grateful for the perfect life he led, the example he was to us, and that he laid down his life so we can live eternally.  I can't think about the Savior's birth without thinking about the Atonement. 

I want to wish each of you a very Merry Christmas!!! 

No comments: