Tuesday, December 9, 2008

It has been a different week then planned!!!

The beginning of our ski lesson
Kara's class (she is in the pink and black coat in the back)


(My ski instructor Sid (who is amazing and who has taught since 1968) and a few of my new friends plus three extra people checking out our class.
Colton also enjoying Alta ski resort with his dad!
Minutes from being sick!!!


We have had a very busy week and had a lot of plans until the awful flu virus came to visit at our home and forced us to slow down. Last Tuesday (12-2) in the evening Kara started getting sick. She said she felt better on Thursday morning so we let her go to school, but then after school when I picked her up she was sick and was throwing up again. Then Colton started to come down with it while we were skiing. And then I caught it early Monday morning and I am thinking I will be much better by this evening. After having the flu it really helps you appreciate a functioning body. And it has also got me very behind in so many things!

Tomorrow is our All Adult Enrichment Dinner I have been working on for quite sometime. When our RS president, Alice called me yesterday and found out I was sick throwing up she offered to go and get all of the food (even after I told her I could do it, but secretly I think she didn't want my germs on it.) Then Natalie offered her help in preparing some of the food I was planning to make. And then my friend Crystal called up today and offered her help too. So after that I got brave (seriously it is that hard for me) and called another mom in the car pool and asked her if we could switch days as I usually pick up today. And she was more than happy to switch. One thing I have always struggled with is asking for help. I've always felt like everyone is already so busy that I never wanted to add more to their already busy life and the unseen burdens they carry. It is funny because I love to help people and it gives me a lot of joy. I learned so much from my mom who was such an example to me of Christlike service. Even when she couldn't physically do things for other people she blessed people by her kind words, note, or call.

We were really sad by the passing of Elder Wirthlin. He has always been one of my favorite apostles. I have loved his talks, book, and learned so much from his humble example. One thing is he also served in the same mission years ago where my son Coby is serving. So it has been nice to hear of some of his experiences there. I loved what Elder Nelson said about him at his funeral, "He cared so little about himself, because he cared so much about others."

Spencer is busy with finals and we will be going to pick him up and all of his stuff this weekend. It will be nice to have him going to school in SLC! We have so much to do for Christmas and hope that you are all enjoying this beautiful time of the year!