Sunday, October 30, 2011

October 19th, the day I outlived my mom

 October 19, 2011,  was the day I lived as long as my mom did when she died. It doesn't seem right or fair that I get to outlive my mom.  My mom was such an amazing person to me and to others that I felt guilty to be able to enjoy morality longer than she.  Being the same age as  my mom was when she died really made her death feel more real.  She was really young, because I certainly feel young and I don't feel like it is time for me to die.  It  must have been so hard to say good bye to her children, her husband, her friends and the life she so enjoyed!

 She also had such a young family at the time of her death.  She was so needed.  So. needed. Her youngest child was only 6 and she still had four children at home and one on a mission.  I feel so needed in my family and yet three of my four children are all adults now. I can't even imagine what it must feel like to have left an even younger family. I can't even imagine not being able to see  my children grow and become a grandma.

So as today happened I was standing in the kitchen working on food for  my family when something I was doing reminded me of my mom.  That's how it always begins, the moment where something in this life triggers something from long ago reminding me of my mom.  A memory ignites and floods my  mind.  Every time, it carries my breath away.  Every time.  I have to force myself to look away and swallow the sorrow.  Today was  no exception.

But today I have decided to be good and focus on the gifts my mom gave me instead of her absence.  I decided to go to temple square and serve with the youth of our ward planting the beautiful gardens there.  And while I worked with the teenagers, at least from my viewpoint, I can see that she is just like those teenagers.  She is serving.  Just not where I can see her.  And because she's there, it makes it the place I long to be.  The place where I will offer my everything to get to.  And that is very, very Good.  I hope you can see the good you have been given too.  Savor it this day!!!!